From rising temperatures to prolonged exposure to the sun, summer can throw your beauty routine out of whack. Now’s the perfect time to go through your beauty bag and toss out those traditional summertime staples in favor of these 11 clean-beauty alternatives.
From concerts to food trailers, here are our top seven can’t-miss Austin events for July 2017.
Transform your skin on-the-go with BioRepubic Lost Baggage. This hydrating under-eye mask infuses powerful ingredients into your skin to help fight against wrinkles, bags, and dark circles. It’s a carry-on essential — perfect for summer travel.
Unlike traditional self-tanners, which may contain toxins, the Whish Coconut Milk Self Tanner is free of parabens, sulfates, and phthalates, and leaves you with a streak-free golden look. This self-tanner contains ingredients such as Kigelia African fruit extract, goji berry, and mango berry that firm, refine, and moisturize your skin. And to top it all off, the Whish Coconut Milk Self Tanner is made with clinically-proven ingredients that have been shown to help increase skin’s firmness by up to 32% after eight weeks.
As most of us know, traveling, especially long-distance travel, inspires a mélange of feelings — ones that can range from pure exhilaration and enlightenment to frustration, impatience, and boredom. Where the latter is concerned, we wish we had the ability to instantly transport ourselves to our final destination. But until the technology to zap ourselves elsewhere is developed (ha), here are a few of my tried-and-true tips for staying sane, happy, and ready for adventure.
- Give yourself the spa treatment in the air. Let’s just say that “plane air” isn’t the most pleasant for your skin, but there are certainly ways to minimize the effects of it while you’re en route to point B. Here are some of my go-to tips: Drink lots of water to keep yourself hydrated (this should go without saying). Refresh yourself with a gentle toner or mist, like Cosmedix Mystic. If you do feel a spot of plane-induced acne cropping up, apply OSEA Essential Corrective Complex directly to the area and try your hardest not to touch your face!
- Meditate. Download the Headspace app stat and put those meditation exercises to good use after takeoff. You’d be surprised how calming, effective, and time-consuming (in the best sense possible) airplane meditation can be. If you’re particularly stressed about the act of flying, this should help immensely.
- Stretch and move yo’ body — within reason. I’m not advocating for a full-on yoga sesh on the plane, nor would the flight attendants enjoy that little party trick. Instead, when the seatbelt sign is “off,” get out of your seat, take a quick stretch in the aisle (barring the food cart, etc.) and shake out those limbs. If you’re already heading to the restroom, may I suggest a “figure four” stretch in the back of the plane? This same strategy can be used in other modes of transportation: train aisle works, pull over to the nearest rest stop if you’re driving, and if you’re on a boat, well, now’s the time to find those sea legs! It will feel divine and I promise it will reset your mood for the next couple of hours.
- Fill the time with simple pleasures. Whether traveling by plane, train, car, or boat, I find the things that keep me most sane happen to be the things that keep me sane all the time. For me, this means making a new (sometimes, themed) playlist on Spotify for the journey ahead, grabbing a book to read, making sure I have a crossword or two on me, and because I am constantly hungry and don’t want to rely on plane food/gas station fare/etc., I pack delicious snacks to reward myself with. What are the things that make you happy on-the-road?
- Pack light + smart. No matter what kind of trip I’m taking, I try to limit my packing to “carry-on” size. This makes the entire experience of traveling so much easier. That said, it’s good to be smart about it. Just because I’m packing light doesn’t mean I’m denying myself items of clothing that I’ll eventually need. I’m just realistic about that stuff I will never wear/take out of the suitcase. If that tactic doesn’t seem like it’s in the cards for you, remember to pack a toothbrush and extra underwear in your purse/backpack/laptop bag, etc. at the very least.
What are your no-fail travel tips? I’d love to hear ’em!
Longer days, warmer weather, and countless barbecues are just a few of the reasons why everyone loves summer. We asked our milk + honey team to share with us their favorite things to do when the temperature heats up.
While the sun is a great source of vitamin D, it can also cause serious damage to your skin. Prolonged sun exposure can lead to sunburn, premature aging, and in some cases, it can also cause skin cancer. Here are seven easy things you can do to protect your skin this Summer.
Most people assume that lip balms, butters, and glosses are the best way to protect your lips from sun exposure. Not so. While these options certainly nourish and hydrate your lips, a true sunscreen is what you need to avoid those harmful UVA/UVB rays. Without proper lip sunscreen protection — like our favorite from Supergoop! — you’re actually allowing more UV rays to pass through the protective barrier, causing your lips to dry out and age faster.
Supergoop! founder, Holly Thaggard, started this premium line of sunscreens after learning two frightening facts. First, skin cancer is the most common of cancer in the United States, and second, that 90% of all telltale signs of aging are due to over exposure to the sun. She decided to raise awareness about these issues and began creating sunscreens that are lightweight, never greasy, are easily absorbed, and most importantly, protect your skin. Supergoop! sunscreens have been clinically proven to neutralize free-radical agents and improve collagen production, along with reducing the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles, and hyper-pigmentation. But what truly sets Supergoop! a part from the mainstream sunscreens is that its products are oxybenzone-free. Oxybenzone is a harmful chemical that has been linked to hormone distribution and cell damage.
We’re loving Supergoop! Shine On Lip Screen. Formulated with grape seed extract, it delivers antioxidant protection and fights premature signs of aging. Just apply before or after your favorite lip products. $22
Another must-have? Supergoop! Fusion Lip Balms. Available in two different scents, this product is packed with shea fruit butter to lock in moisture and acai berries to combat harmful UVA rays. $10
Shop these lip protecting products at your nearest milk + honey location.
To keep or not to keep, that is the question. You’ve already swapped out your jeans for shorts, Winter coats for breezy tanks, and boots in favor of open-toed sandals. But what about your everyday beauty products? With Summer almost here, it’s time to give the ol’ heave-ho to some of your traditional staples in favor of some new, all-natural ones.
This month we’re celebrating . . .
What does ‘Christmas in July’ mean?
We have three new summer-exclusive packages. Call 512.236.1115 to snag yours. All summer packages are valid to redeem through September 30, 2014. After September 30, you have the $ amount of the package to use, which never expires.
But that’s not all. Starting Monday, July 7, we’re kicking off our ’12 Days of milk + honey Christmas.’ How does it work?
Every Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday in July, any client who has received a service/treatment on that particular day will be automatically entered to win an awesome prize. Gifts include the Clarisonic Mia 2, RevitaLash, milk + honey bath and body products, Cosmedix, and more. So, make sure to pre-book your appointments for Monday through Wednesdays in July — you might just win something great!